Who was Aunt Polly? Is the Mystery solved ? Updated Feb 24

 

Discovering my grandmother's name 


Joseph Iris and Ida 

After many months and months of piecing together bits and working out a lady only known as "Aunty Polly" as my father's Joseph Wright had known her. From the photos Raine had put on Ancestry.  Also after slowly unraveling the intricate threads of my family history finding out my father had also been Adopted way back in 1928 in Victoria by Les & Ann Wright ( Raine is their grand daughter) and this was a year before the Adoption Act had come in Victoria, so records and  information was hit and miss, even the way adoptions were carried out in some cases was more of a anything goes.

So Aunty Polly is Ida Mary Pulz, Ida was born in 1905 and I found out she lived to the ripe old age of 97 passing in 2001.  She had also got married later in life and had a daughter. This is another one of the many other things I'm working on now. But more on that later. Also Ida and her Sister in law were the Licensee's of a Wine Bar Saloon in Fish Creek  in Gippsland Victoria. Back in the mid 1940s 



Joseph and Ida his birth mother 




So how was  the mystery  of Aunt Polly solved ?
Well Raine had found an original photo taken back in 1950 in a Pall Mall cigarette tin, the photo had been wrapped in an envelope the names of the people written on the back.
Had the photo been wrapped in an envelope and put away in that tin to be found over 70 years later ?  I guess we will never know, but I'm really thankful it was.
Once  I had Ida's name I could research back through my DNA on Ancestry and all family trees for Ida and try and confirm a DNA link to someone related on Ida's side of the family. I had already narrowed possible match's although none were a close match. So as luck would have it I found a family tree with Ida in it. And the owner of the family tree was a DNA match to me. Bingo! here was my link it was ever so small at 22cM But it was my link.







The Photo 



This journey of uncovering my past has unearthed a treasure trove of stories people, characters and memories. It use to be just a dream as the little child when I was told around 5 years of age I was adopted.  The dream eventually turned into mission to finding my BM and who I AM. Then  after finding my BM and its now turned into a passion, of course with the help of DNA and many others.



So in this journey which I started just as a dream over 50 years ago. I have located and met my Birth Mother,  Brother , 2 sisters , so many Aunts, Uncles Cousins, located and visited memorials of grandparents great grandparents and found my links back to the first fleet, convicts, soldiers, early pioneers and many interesting characters and that's just been on my Mother's side. 
To more recently turning my attention to my Father's side, even though I've had his name for almost 30 years it only been DNA which has unlocked all the mysteries on his side.
It was unfortunate he had long passed but I have visited this burial location and memorial, through DNA have identified his father and now mother met my father's half sister my Aunt Betty which was wonderful. Betty didn't know at the time of my research she had a half brother, DNA test confirmed it.  To meeting my cousin Daryl and his wife Lyn, Daryl has his own amazing story of how he fits into the family, he and Lyn were the upmost help in helping me on my father's side of the search.
To Raine and her hunch that Joseph Wright my father had much more to his story and had put a unbelievable amount of photos and information on Ancestry. Which was an absolute treasure trove of history and photos.


The Journey continues

Fish Creek Victoria, and Ida (added Feb 2024)

Ida and Mary Farrell buy an Wine Bar Saloon and accomodation in Fish Creek Victoria 1946. Mary  Farrell goes on to become Idas sister in-law after Ida marries Arthur Farrell .  


                                                                     Notice on the transfer of Licence to Ida and Mary in 1946 


Fish Creek Wine Saloon 



                                                             Harry Jones originally estabished the Wine saloon 




                                                                                         Present Day Fish Creek Location 



                                                                   Ida and Mary sell the Wine Saloon in 1951 






The Journey continues 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adoption Chronicles

Finding Joseph Wright, His father, My Grandfather

The Convict Connection